Orientation for Tokyo Residents
Most people I meet who live in Tokyo begin their journey with a lot of excitement. You think Tokyo is amazing, the people are so polite, the food is great, and that you've essentially stumbled upon some kind of lifestyle utopia. (Well, in many respects, you have!)
But fast forward a week or two, and the joy turns into overwhelm...perhaps you've been struggling to read food labels, are dying to have more fresh fruit and veggies if they weren't so expensive (and you actually knew what they were and how to use them!), can't seem to get your hands on kale and other superfoods you've been reading about, or can't understand where your products are coming from.
In this half-day workshop, let me ease the overwhelm and help you integrate your life to Tokyo!
Half-Day Workshop Details
The workshop also includes a guidebook to reference during and after the workshop, and a translation card that easily fits into your wallet for deciphering food labels and menus.
9:15~10:45: Info Session
- The 8 places where you can purchase foods in Japan and how they each operate
- Identifying which products to use for ingredients you're familiar with (i.e. flour, oils, sugar, etc.)
- The 7 core ingredients used in Japanese cooking, and what order to use them in
- The 3 kinds of seating styles in Japanese restaurants
- Etiquette and tips for dining out in Japan
11:00~11:45: Grocery store tour
- What a typical layout is for Japanese grocery stores
- What prices to expect
- This is a great time to ask about products or vegetables you're unsure about
12:00~13:00: Tasting & Cooking Demo Workshop
- Taste-testing different Japanese sauces you can easily find in grocery stores
- The anatomy of a Japanese meal (teishoku) and what to include to recreate them
- Super easy cooking demonstration to get started making Japanese foods
- Eat lunch together & End session
Register for the Next Workshop
You have two options: participate in the info session only, or do the full half-day workshop.
Location: Katheryn's Home in Omotesando (address disclosed in confirmation email)
See dates and select registration, below
Can't find what you're looking for?
If you're perhaps looking for something customized, or can't make these particular dates, then learn about private sessions, here.